Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Helpful Hints #2- Pack Light


Obviously bring a new set of clothes for each day and of course a bathing suit but I packed many things for my family that I found out that I should have left or I’m extremely happy I brought.
1.Ladies, don’t bring your whole bag of make-up. Everyone is hot, sweaty, and sticky and not caring about how their make-up looks. Eye liner, mascara, and maybe concealer. Anything more than that will just sweat right off any no one cares.
2.With the first hint, ladies don’t bring all your hair items. Some mousse, a dryer if your hotel doesn’t provide one, and maybe a curling iron or straightener. It’s so hot and sticky that your hair frizzes out and ya end up just putting it up in a clip or ponytail anyway to cool off. 
3.Sunscreen is a MUST! The sun just relentlessly shines down on you. The kids were covered all week but we ran out of ours on our second to last day and we got BURNED! save yourself!
4.A good pair of broken in shoes. And bring only one or two pairs of shoes at the most. I thought I did a good job of braking in a relatively new pair of shoes and a pair of sandals before we left but by the second day I needed multiple band aids. Which brings me to the next hint
5.Bring band aids. Even if your shoes are broken in and you have no problems, kids fall and scrape things and get hurt. Just a good thing to have on hand just in case
6. Leave the toys from home at home. I mean, bring things to entertain them on the trip there, but after that, they will be so busy at the parks or getting new toys that the old ones won’t matter till you get home again. Be smart with the toys you do bring to entertain on the travel. I brought multiple toys for my 4 year-old and in the end she really only played with a new activity book I bought for the trip.
7.Bring travel size everything that you can. Either buy the travel size brand items or the empty cheap travel containers you can fill with your own stuff. But that will save space and weight in your luggage. Plus, remember that the hotels provide shampoo, conditioner, and soap so you can even leave all of those at home. 
8.A stroller. I know I said it in the last list, but this came in extremely handy. 
9. Use your carry-on bag as your bag you’d carry around the parks. We brought a backpack on the plane as our carry-on and I packed our diaper bag thinking I was going to use that at the parks. But after trying to cram the regular daily needs (diapers, wipes, wallets, phones, etc) and snacks, water, camera, sunscreen, and more the diaper bag just didn’t have enough room. Save yourself the space. And I personally recommend using a backpack if you have kids and not a sling or shoulder bag. There is a lot of standing and walking and having something resting on both shoulders is so much nicer.
 10.With the last hint, again ladies, don’t bring the contents of your whole purse. I even would go as far as telling you to leave behind most of your wallet. Your ID and check/credit cards with some cash in a money purse is all you’ll really need. Lipstick, gum, cosmetics, etc. are added weight to your pack and you’ll never get around to using them. Just bring the most basic needs. 

I'm sure I could think up some more and if I think up enough than I'll add a new segment on but I learned that these are the most helpful hints I can give you if you Ever go to Disneyland or Disney World. 

1 comment:

Stephanie Cozzens said...

Wow - great list. I'm taking all 5 kids to Yellowstone, among other places, this summer all by myself, and I'm already trying to figure out how to make it doable.
My favorite item - one I would have forgotten - band-aids!
-Steph

Related Posts with Thumbnails