Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Toolbox


My Husband and I recently attended 10 hours of a “Love and Logic” parenting class.  Love and Logic is a parenting philosophy created by Jim and Charles Fay, PH.D. (Father and son).  Nate and I attended thinking we would learn some more tools to cope with the growing unwanted and undesirable behavior from our 4 year old and 1 year old boys.
This is what we found: A very effective toolbox.  The class covered topics ranging from bedtime tantrums, whining, public outbursts, allowance, chores, choices, consequences, and love.  I was reminded throughout the class that children are smart, capable, loveable, and a joy to have.  I consider myself lucky to carry the title of mother.  Parenting is hard and taking this class provided me with a fresh deep breath and a new perspective.   The newest tool I like to carry around in my new toolbox is choices.  I learned to give both of my children a little bit more power, by letting them choose between two acceptable choices.  For example “Wes would you like cheerios or toast for breakfast?” or “would like to turn the TV off now or in 5 minutes?” I have discovered that by giving my boys a little more control over their lives they are happy and we seem to get along better.  I have stopped simple arguments by letting Wes make choices.  He is not always happy about the choices, but he makes them and moves on.  I feel a little less pressure as a mom to do everything and less anger when my kids don’t appreciate the choices I was making for them.  
The class does not guarantee that your children will always be happy and always make great choices, but at least he/she will have the opportunity to make and learn from his/her choices.  My greatest hope is that my children grow up to be happy, healthy, independent thinkers.  I want to be able to look back and feel confident that I provided a loving environment for them to thrive in. Hopefully doing the hard work while they are young enables me to enjoy my children as they grow into adults. I have always loved opportunities to learn and stretch myself.  It was nice to be able to step outside my parenting style and open myself up to new ideas, and strategies.  If this class or its curriculum is available in your area, it is worth your investment.     
Stephanie Halladay
_______________________________________________________________________________
My Quick Thought:
If the class is not available in your area and you're interested in learning more about the Love and Logic method, either click on the link to the Love and Logic site or on the link to Amazon.com where you can buy the book or book on cd. 
I really encourage at least a peak into this method because it's whole purpose is to take the anger and frustration out of parenting by giving you more tools or options to help create a learning and nurturing environment for your kids. It also gives you methods of disciplining without yelling and I've found that helps me enjoy being a mom again.


http://www.loveandlogic.com/ 

Stacie

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails