Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Festivities by Abbey

I've been wanting to institute some sort of advent calendar into our yearly holiday festivities, but I haven't seen one that I really like.  At least, enough to spend money on.

Last night I got a fresh dose of holiday cheer (let's blame it on the new snow!), and thought I'd whip something up to countdown to Christmas.   I'm a big crafter so, I already had all of the essentials:  cardstock, photoshop, and an endless supply of ribbon.

I had a few goals to accomplish with this project.  First, I wanted some sort of religious aspect to the calendar.  Second, I wanted something fun, too.  Not that reading scriptures isn't a grand ol' time, but I've got a two-year-old.  Third, I wanted to stay away from treats.  I'm one of those total weirdos who thinks that candy isn't good for you.  I know.
So here's what I came up with.

First, I took these gift tags and doctored 'em up a bit.  I love the way they look under our tree, so I figured I might as well not re-invent the wheel.  I basically made them bigger and added text.


Then, on the back, I added a scripture that pointed to the Savior's birth.  I also added a fun activity to do, like baking cookies or watching a Christmas movie.


I finished it up by adding a glittery ribbon to each tag, and hanging them next to our stockings.  I'm super excited to show my daughter how it works, and to do all of the fun Christmas-y stuff with her.


Who knows?  Maybe next year I'll go crazy and do one for every day in December.  This year I thought 12 would be a good start...
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Abbey has her own blog named The Naptime Report and if you would like to visit it, just click on the link

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails