Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pie Can’t Thank You Enough!

By Jana


I love the holidays... all of them.  I am grateful for this chance to share a few of my holiday traditions through this blog.  Especially because I am putting together a holiday cookbook that I hope will help fund our adoption.  
Thanksgiving is a time for reflection on our many blessings, family, and of course Food! 

The pilgrim’s rations were down to 3 kernels of corn a day, until that bounteous, Thanksgiving harvest.  Each night in November we have given the kids three candy corns and ask them to be specific about three things they are grateful for.  It has been very fun and is cultivating an attitude of gratitude in our home.   
What would Thanksgiving be without pie?  I love to make pies. I consider it slightly therapeutic.  I usually spend much of this month in the kitchen.  For me, memories are made in the kitchen! How grateful I am to have one.  One of my favorite things about being a mom is having helping hands in the kitchen.  I love to have the kids stir and mix pound, etc.

Here is one of our traditional Thanksgiving kid pies 

Pieces Pie
1/4 cup butter
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups crisp rice cereal                       
 1-1/3 cups Milk Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional) 
2 cups Reese's Pieces
Directions
In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the butter and marshmallows on high for 1 minute; stir until marshmallows are melted. Add the cereal; mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of two greased 9-in. pie plates. 
In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate kisses; stir until smooth. Spread over prepared crusts. Sprinkle with coconut and candy pieces; press down lightly. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into slices. Yield: 2 pies 

1 comment:

Stephanie Cozzens said...

I can never have too many dessert recipes - Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails